Sales professionals are entrepreneurs genuinely care about the company doing well and they invest their time into truly understanding the products or services available so they can share that knowledge with the community, and build loyalty and trust between the customers and business. They are business consultants, providing maximum value to customers and bridging the gap between the customer needs and the products or services that fulfil those needs.
Excellent salespeople are those that not only make the sale but create a long-lasting impact on the customer, and their interactions with the customers allow them to provide unique feedback to the business in order to improve it.
All of these points are the main reasons why a customer would recommend your company to friends and family members as well as write a great review of your product or service online. Word of mouth is still a very powerful thing.
What must a good salesperson possess?
They must be:
- Have good personal management skills
- Be creative
- Fearless and courageous
- They must have critical thinking skills
- A passion and flare for achieving targets
- Be able to work from their own initiative and
- Strive to always progress themselves and their relationships
Great sales professionals:
- Are able to recognise buying behaviours, they start with a customer’s requirements and tailor what they have to suit those needs.
- They can create offers and “something extra” for each customer.
- They establish strong partnerships as they are the main source of communication between the customer and the company locking in that trust and loyalty.
- They understand the priorities of both the business and the customer, finding the perfect solutions.
Having sales professionals in your business creates that human interaction between a product being advertised to a product being explained, tested, and tailored to the customers needs. Companies spend a lot of time and money on marketing, trying to communicate with the ideal audience however, chances are the first time a customer talks to your company is when they wish to buy something, request a service, or ask a question about a product, 90% of the time the person they will end up speaking to will be a salesperson.
Salespeople have a high knowledge base of the products, applications, business processes, and all other factors that come into play that affect the purchase and use of services or products.
The better the salesperson, the better that interaction will be, this then increases the chance of a sale, upsell and even repeat business. The success of your sales team can determine whether or not your business as a whole can be successful. It’s so important to spend time developing your sales organisation.
- Determining your needs and ideal structure
- Defining what roles need to be filled and what tasks they will need to carry out
- Making sure you are ready to equip your new members with the right tools
- Setting goals
- Promoting collaborations not competition
- Aligning your sales and marketing teams
How you create your sales team will be unique to every other company, it’s important to keep in your focus and needs on what stage you are at in the business, the size, and your goals. Tailor your sales team to that which will meet your expectations.